Saturday, March 27, 2010

Paraben health alert

So, I just went through my bodycare products and chucked half of them.

I read an article (which turned into a quite a few articles, then studies) on parabens. Parabens are preservatives in many on the shelf body care products.

Chances are, you have parabens in your bathroom, whether in the lovely body lotion you smooth on after a shower or the conditioner you use in your hair. The problem with parabens is that they are xenoestrogens.

Xenoestrogens mimic estrogen in the body. Consuming/applying xenoestrogens can lead to toxicity. Some forms of cancer, especially women's cancers are fed by estrogens, so having something circulating in your body that mimics estrogen is not safe and can effect your health without you even knowing it.

Here is an interesting article on how to eliminate xenoestrogens in your home: www.ehow.com/how_4515846_avoid-exposure-xenoestrogens.html

There are a few brands of products that do not contain xenoestrogens. My favourite is Kiss my Face.

If you know of other paraben-free products, I would be interested in hearing about them!

5 comments:

Sara said...

This is one of the reasons I make my own body care items. There is just too much 'stuff' in most store bought brands.

I have a great book called The Green Beauty Guide that has listings of 'better' beauty brands. I've lent it out, but when I get it back I'll check out the ones without xenoestrogens for you.

Thanks for the link to the article. :)

Mama J. said...

I used to work for a company called Soap and More here in Calgary teaching classes like this. I've found it hard to find time to make my own since having kids, but as they are getting older that is changing.

I love being able to control what is in my personal products.

I would love to see that list!

Jennifer said...

Rocky Mountain Soap Company has great stuff. I am pretty sure Lush products are paraben free as well. I have been replacing my body products with these brands.

Cherylg said...

Hello Lisa. This is very interesting. With your permission, may I put this on my blog and make a link to your post?

C

Swankgurl said...

Derma Med
Avalon Organics
Hugo Organics
Giovanni Hair Care
Beaver
Juice Beauty
Josie Maran Cosmetics.