Monday, March 2, 2009

Dealing

So, I am dealing. I am not as emotional or upset about this whole thing. My husband called the school and spoke to the pedagological administrator and expressed our concerns. She spoke to the teacher and the teacher will be calling tonight to "clarify".

I have joined a great homeschooling group here in Calgary and hope to make a decision in the next few weeks about Smooch's fall school plans.

At this point, I have no idea.

Apparently Smooch has something called "Asynchronous Development". He has what looks like Sensory Integration disorder and is gifted and the combination of the two are very challenging.

Just thinking about what this means for him over the next 12-15 years and possibly throught his life, well...it exhausts me.

I am overwhelmed, anxious, mad, impatient and likely boring you with all this ranting and raving...I have no idea what this all means for Smooch...for our family and how to help him.

I feel stuck.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is certainly lots to deal with. You are a great mom, so I have no doubt you will in time figure out the best course of action. {hug}'s Lisa!

FindingAnge said...

That is so hard to deal with, but you are doing a great job! I am attending the home school conference in Red Deer in April, let me know if there is anything you are interested in.

Jenn M said...

That has to be tough. But like Jennifer said, you guys will find the best course of action and he and you guys will be ok HUGE HUGS!

Jo-Ann said...

I completely understand how thinking of the next 12-15 years is exhausting. ((((hug))))

It is ok to feel that way. If you didn't then you wouldn't be looking at the situation with both eyes open and that never helps anyone.

I am continually in awe of how, when I think I can not go on and that all avenues are depleted, a new pathway opens up.

By looking into new things, a new pathway will open up. I just know it will.

Smooch is a resilient kid. May not seem like it for you, but as an outsider, I see that he is. He is learning coping strategies that will take him anywhere he decides to go in this world.

I keep telling myself it is all about baby steps. Somedays those steps seem so small, but as long as we continue to move forward, that is all we can ask for.